Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Fudge

Family is like Fudge. Mostly sweet but with a few nuts!!! -Unknown"The Christmas Season can't start with out Fudge!" My Grandma said this to me once. She also said that we need to have Fruit Cake. But, that part of the tradition will never make it into this house.

This Christmas I decided to try the recipe my Grandma always made.

I knew better! I should have stuck to my recipe. I tried her fudge and it flopped! But, I was determined to get something edible! And, finally after the 4th attempt the fudge set up.

Yes, I am a nut! And so now you won't be surprised if I tell you that since it came out, I will probably make it for a 5th time, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.




3 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (Hershey's is fine)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter (half stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Butter a 9 inch square pan.
Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a 4 quart saucepan, then add milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.
Boil and stir continually until mixture reaches 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage). Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, and beat with a spoon until the fudge begins to thicken and loses its gloss.
Spread quickly into pan, let cool to room temperature, cut into squares.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I think that is determination. I definitely understand that. I was determined to learn how to make a molasses stack cake. These cakes are very popular in the hills of southwest va where I was raised. I got my aunts recipe and probably made 10-15 of them before I got it right. I think though it was worth it. We call it "sticktoitiveness" I think we borrowed this term from a veggie tales movie. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all prepared to make my fudge today while the children were napping...that was until I realized that the chocolate was used to make Molten Lava Chocolate cookies for church last week!!!...So on the to do list tomorrow.....FUDGE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a new fudge recipe this year too, which like yours, flopped. I didn't persist as you did though--I went back to my tried and true recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some fudge.
    Merry Christmas dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen