Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Spicy Tuscan Soup

Ever notice that Soup for One is eight aisles away from Party Mix?  -- Elayne Boosler

Well, this soup isn't just for One. My Mom thought it was so good she thought it would be a great soup to take to a Church Meal. Either way you want to eat it, this was a great soup for us particurally with Winter weather blowing in. And with fighting off some colds and with me not having a voice right now, it was time to try that copy cat Olive Garden recipe (Zuppa Tuscana) that I have been wanting to do. 

It turned out really well! We really liked it. And, I am not a soup person!

This is the recipe and where the picture came from as well.
No point in taking a picture it looked just like this when it was cooked!  (Not that I can get my pictures up and working yet anyway.)


  • 1 pound Spicy Breakfast Sausage    (I used Jimmy Dean Spicy sausage and Mild - 2 pounds)
  • 1 whole Medium Red Onion, Diced
  • 2 slices Bacon, Diced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 3 whole Medium Potatoes
  • 1 quart Warm Water
  • 3 cubes Chicken Bouillon
  • ¼ bunches Kale, Roughly Chopped
  • ½ cups Heavy Cream
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste

  • Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain and set the sausage aside.

    Chop onions and dice bacon; add to the Dutch oven. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are clear. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.

    Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices. Add warm water, bouillon cubes and potatoes to the Dutch oven and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are almost done.

    Add remaining ingredients as well as the sausage and simmer for 5 more minutes.

    * I must have let the water and heavy cream to boil down to much. However, I just added more until we got more broth that looked like the picture. I think it was just about a cup of water and 1/2 cup of heavy cream.

    2 comments:

    1. Sounds like a good recipe. I love soup. Thanks for sharing. Pray everyone get well quickly. God bless.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You must try this recipe and let me know what you think. It is still on the top of the favorite list. When I had Oral surgery and could only eat soup for weeks, I had Beloved go buy a gallon of it from Olive Garden! He thought I was crazy! ;) Glad I can make my own now!

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen