"It's fall Yáll" -A Southern Thing
Hearty Chicken Stew with Butterneck Squash and Quinoa
- 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup pitted and quartered kalamata olives
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, minced garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- To the saucepan, add tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine.
- Stir in reserved chicken broth and quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with your fingers or a fork.
- Stir the chicken, olives and pepper into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and serve.
Picture Directions Here: Click Here