Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Antique Pins

"It would have never happened if not for Saddam Hussein."
" ... Madeleine Albright criticized the dictator, his poet in residence responded by calling her 'an unparalleled serpent'. Shortly thereafter, while preparing to meet with Iraqi officials, Albright pondered: What to wear? She decided to make a diplomatic statement by choosing a snake pin. Although her method of communication was new, her message was an old as the American Revolution-- Don't Tread on Me!
From that day forward, pins became part of Albrights' diplomatic signature" ~ Bill Woodward


My Sister bought me "Read My Pins. Stories From A Diplomat's Jewel Box" by Madeleine Albright.

A fabulous book for those of us who collect vintage and antique pins!


I started collecting in 1997.

I love wearing them on a black dress.
The gaudier the pin the better!
This cracks people up since I like simplistic colors and refuse to wear prints or plaids!


I have over 100 rhinestone pins.
(Rhinestones are important to my particular collection!)

All of them are labeled with what year I was gifted/purchased them.
If it was gifted then the name of the person who gave it to me is also included.



I am looking for a rhinestone bee and a rhinestone snake just because of this crazy book!

3 comments:

  1. The gold/green butterfly reminds me of one my mom had/has.
    Your blog is looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To first comment about your search for a rhinestone "bee". Annabelle is called our Bee so I love and collect anything bee related.. If you find this rhinestone bee let me know.. I would love to come see it!! :)
    Secondly, regarding your comment to our blog... what a small world!! I am sure you were floored to find out that was our blog and that we are just a few houses down the road from you.. I do want to offer any advice for your friend.. both our girls were brought into the world the same way and we have been a part of that community for several years.. I would be more than willing to help in anyway if needed. I'd love to follow you too so I am going to add you, if you don't mind.. :)

    take care... I am sure we'll see you out an about..
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a collection, and so orderly! I also read that book - VERY interesting.

    Your meticulous labeling is touching - so respectful of the pieces and the givers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen