Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Thrifty Chest

"Well begun is half done." ~ Mary Poppins has many professional organizer traits! In her song, A Spoon Full of Sugar, we all learn that getting started is half the job. And then you are already half way complete!

This is a little chest that I found at a garage sale for $10 this past fall. It had small hinges on it that were falling off. The chest also had at least 10 stickers on it. It had a lot of nicks and was very sad looking.

One day in October, I took off the hardware, took off the stickers and then I sanded it down. One day in November, I filled all the holes with wood filler and then sanded it all down again.

Then it sat and sat and sat. Hey! It was cold in that garage.
I think it got moved around a couple of times in the garage too. Christmas Season hit, you know?


Finally, Beloved and I went to buy a piano hinge and some BLACK paint! Black Paint because it was going to go into the Boys Pioneer room. But, I realized the boys don't really need anything to hold their stuff because their gadgets fit into containers.

However, the Little Lady needed a little toy chest for her small collection of dolls and her large collection of horses. This would help organize her precious little treasure.

So, the chest got painted the color of her room. And, since it is to cold to paint in the garage, Beloved brought the chest into the bathroom to be painted! I am serious about getting these projects completed!

It isn't completely finished yet. We plan on doing black horses in stencil on the side of it. However, it can't be done until the paint dries.

On more TLC project for the Little Lady's room. Then, I will move on.....

10 comments:

  1. So enjoyed reading all your projects and organizing your home, I need to do the same, for we plan to sell our "out-grown" house Lord Willing and this 1,200 sq. ft. house of 10 years has a lot of JUNK!!! Thanks for sharing and getting me into the mood. ;~) Oh love your work, I love fixing up old/used furniture, have a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should take a tip from you, Carmen - I have a few sewing projects partially done. It's been nagging at me lately. You're doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty and I think it's great how you are getting things here and there completed! Great job! Have a lovely weekend with your wonderful family. Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Lisa, I found a sewing projet already cut out while organizing the sewing patterns this past week. It is a dress for the Little Lady. I couldn't believe it. It was tucked in between some fabric that was folded. So, now I am feeling obligated to at least have a go at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Carmen, the chest turned out to be adorable!
    As she ages, you will be replacing the toys for some heirloom items for her future home....just a thought:)
    I need to do a post about my daughter's hope chest one of these days.
    Have a most blessed Sunday!
    (((hugs))
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chest is beautiful! We love taking old things and making them new. They have so much character. Our entire house is a work in progress. Keep up the good work. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There you go - it's meant to be, and partway done! I hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chest looks awesome! What a joy to find something for a good price and then make it look so lovely!

    Sweetest blessings to you!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Carmen, and I think the horse stencils will be adorable! Little Lady will be all nice and organized now. : )

    xxxooo ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!! It is looking so nice. The stencils will be just the right touch!!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen