Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading Grandma's Attic

"...How could I get a hoop skirt in with out Mom knowing? It was finally decided that I would stop by Sarah Jane's house on Sunday Morning. We would have some excuse for walking to church, and after her family had left, we would put on our hoops and prepare to make a grand entrance at the church.

....We agreed that there could not be two finer looking (8 year old) young ladies in the country than we were. Quickly we set out for church, our hoopskirts swinging as we walked. Everyone had gone in when we arrived, so we were assured of the grand entry we desired. Proudly, with small noses tipped up, we sauntered to the front of the church and took our seats.

Alas! No one had ever told us the hazards of sitting down in a hoopskirt without careful practice! The gasps we heard were not of admiration as we had anticipated-- far from it. For when we sat down, those dreadful hoops flew straight up in the air! Our skirts covered our faces, and the startled minister was treated to the sight of two pairs of white pantalettes and flying petticoats.

Sarah Jane and I were too startled to know how to disentangle ourselves, but our mothers were not. Ma quickly snatched me form the seat and marched me out the door.

The trip home was a silent one. My dread grew with each step. What terrible punishment would I receive at the hands of an embarrassed and upset parent? Although I didn't dare look at her, I knew she was upset because she was shaking. It was to be many more years before I learned that Ma was shaking from laughter, and not from anger!

Nevertheless, punishment was in order. My Sunday afternoon was spent with the big Bible and Pa's concordance. My task was to copy each verse I could find that had to do with being proud." - A snippet from Chapter 1: Pride Goes Before a Fall in "Grandma's Attic"


The adventures of Mabel and Sarah Jane take us back to a time of horses and buggies in which a simple life was the only life, and children were able to make up their own mischief. In Grandma's Attic you will be delighted when reading a collection of stories told by the grown-up Mabel to her grandchild. The child Mabel always meant well, it seems, but didn't always think her ideas through before trying them out with the aid of her best friend Sarah Jane.

From her story of hoopskirts which Mabel and Sarah Jane wear to church one Sunday, treating the minister to a surprise when they sit down and the skirts fly up over their faces, to the birthday cake Mabel accidentally flavors with Watkins Liniment, we have been laughing our way through Mabel's childhood stories. On some nights we have gotten so tickled that we had tears in our eyes. These books have a heavy moral lesson in every story and we adore the little black and white illustrations.

But, watch out!!!

You will get almost every night, "Tell me a story about your Grandma or about some mischief that you got in when you were younger!"

Me: "Why Child I was a little saint. Go ask your Dad about his mischief! Ask him about the time he pretended to be the 6 Million Dollar man and tried to run through a plexi glass door." ;)

12 comments:

  1. These books look wonderful. I am going to see if our library has them. Thanks for telling us about them. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh how fun! Anna would love these! I'm going to go search for them. Thanks, Carmen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing such a great reading resource. My mom is always trying to find some good books for my daughter to read!!! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definitely be looking for them! We love great stories here. :-) Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved those books when I was growing up! I will have to put them on my list of books to get for my girls when they're just a couple years older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, those books are wonderful! Our girls love(ed) them!

    ryc... Do you think you might want to post a few of your favorite GLH books one day? There are so many, it's hard to know which ones to read first! : )

    XXXOOO ~AMELIA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My! We just read the story where Mabel found a doll. She had put it on the furnace to dry out. Hours later the doll began to move and come alive! :) They discovered that the doll was filled with corn. So, the corn doll's insides became pop corn from the heat! So funny! ;) (This story is in the second book of "Grandma's Attic")

    Yes, Mrs. Amelia. I will share my love for GLH in a post next week. I have my Grandma' and Great Aunts hardback 1st editions tucked away safely. In the mean time, you might want to check out the quotes that Anne from "Pleasant View" use to do on her site "http://neatanddaintyasaflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoyed these books as well -- can't remember when I first came across them. I think it was as an adult and I bought them as birthday gifts for my nieces (making sure I read them first!) Or perhaps it was before I had nieces. Just don't remember. I think I have the set - or most of the set in the attic. Perhaps when it warms up a bit I'll check them out and sell them on eBay or something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An answer to a question:
    The little Lady reads heavily. She started the 100 Lessons to Read book when she was 4. When you are finished with the book, they read on the second grade level. By the time she was 6, she was reading books like encyclopedias. She reads extremely well and goes through chapter books of 100 pages plus in just about a day (Mostly 4th or 5th grade level) Her age and her reading ability are about 4 to 5 grade levels apart. So, I have to be careful what I hand her since the books on a 4th and 5th grade level has characters that are developed with character traits that I do not want to cultivate.

    I chose these books because The Little Lady just turned 7 and the characters in the book are about the same. The little girl in the book is just slightly older and her grandma is telling her stories from when she was about the age of 8 or 9. The book is divided up by chapters (about 3 to 5 pages a piece) with each chapter having a moral lesson. The beginning of each chapter starts off in the present with the grandma and the little girl. The Little girl always is "Struggling" with something small. The Grandma relates to the little girl through a story from her past. The Story then goes from the present to the past where the Grandma tells the story from the first point of view. At the end of the chapter, the story goes back to the present.

    There are so many reasons to like these little stories. (1) They show what a "healthy" grandma relationship should look like. (2)I wanted her to be able to relate to a little girl that tries to live for God. (3) The Little Girl in the stories has brothers and she learns a lot of valuable lessons from them being mischievous as well. (4)It has a lot of hard work ethics in it because the stories come from them living on a farm. (5) We read this aloud and so it allows me to have the chance to really talk about funny stories from my family. (6) It really has her interested in what older people have to say which I find is important so that she can well to anyone at any age. --- As I am typing, My Parents have come to visit. She has them telling her funny stories of when they were younger.

    I only have these 3 books. I don't have all of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just realized that we have one of the Grandma's Attic books as part of our Sonlite curriculum (I'm doing the K curriculum with my 5-year-old). I'm excited to get to it, now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a book from the Sonlight K level Curriculum. We don't do the curriculum but I have a list of their books from K to 5th grade so I pull from their reading Title List to hand to the Little Lady all the time.

    I hope you enjoy it. It is a fabulous read aloud while snuggling!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen