Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Botony Light Hut

“Give the children an opportunity to make agarden. Let them grow what they will. It matters less that they grow good plants than that they try for themselves.” ~ Liberty Bailey: Botonist

The Little Lady has been extremely excited since we finished up Astronomy.
She is very ready to explore the world of Botony. So, we haven't waited since this is prime time for this subject. I am sure this will have our bike rides, hikes, and camping trips take on a different perspective.

As you can see her herbs are growing in her Light Hut in which she will need to use for her school projects. (If you look closely you can see the lightbulb hanging down)


A true Science project in itself! Apparently, I missed the class on "power and electricity." I had to get Beloved to help with connecting the lightbulb. I am sure the lightbulb jokes will now role in, right? ;)

Edit: This shows the aluminum cover on top that you pull down for the door.
She is growing lavendar, sweet basil, oregano, and rosemary.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That light hut is awesome! I haven't seen such a contraption! Looks like a great science project! Did you have a plan/instructions for making the light hut? Do you have to monitor the temp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made anything of the sort before either and seeing your projects is very encouraging. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures in pictures an stories with us. *smile* Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri. It is a simple science project and can be easily done.

    All you need is an empty card board box that you line and tape with aluminum foil. (The entire inside of the box)

    You need a 15 watt light bulb,a light socket with plug, and a plastic plate such as a lid from an oatmeal, sour cream or butter container.

    Cute a 1 inch hole at the top of the cardboard and a slit through the lid plate. You push the base of the light through the cardboard hole. THen you put the plastic plate on top. You secure the light by attaching the socket from the outside (as you see in the picture) Just make sure the aluminum foil is not touching the lightbulb in any way.

    You put two ventilation slots in the cardboard(rectangle cut aways of about 3 inches by 2) in the back and one on each side of the box.

    You also have a piece of aluminum foil tape to the opening of the box and have it drapped down over the opening for the door.

    You keep the light on all the time since it is a low light and it simulates the sun. You have to water your seeds a good bit but it works nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info! Certainly better than worrying about a heat mat and grow lights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! What a wonderful idea. I hope all her plants do well. I know she is excited watching them grow. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome! Her plants look great!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great!! Did she start them all from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job.. They should be very proud of them selfs... Could you please send me and address I would like to chat with you about something..I see you are a Miltary Family... Thanks...Blessings..PS Thanks for stopping by my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to have found you! I noticed you were a follower on my blog, but I couldn't find a link to yours. :) This set-up is amazing, and I have a son who would love to do this. Thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen