Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Giving Container Gardening a Whirl

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.  ~Lou Erickson
 
I suppose to those who are not military and have never lived on an military instillation they might not know that you are not allowed to dig up the yard and have a garden. So, as usual, the military wives in my neighborhood have had to get creative!  Two neighbors have done raised vegetable beds. Another lady is doing strawberry and tomato hanging baskets.
 
 I have chosen to give container gardening a whirl. 
 
 
Cucumbers
We have already pulled six off and we will be cutting about three off tomorrow.
 
Tomatoes
 
Mostly green foliage with only a few flowers.
I need some bees to start pollinating or I am going to have to do it myself. 
 
 
Beans
We have pulled a zip lock bag off already and they are just starting to grow well.
They are sucking up the water though!
I have to fill the water up every day.

 
We also have a strawberry pot, blueberry and raspberry!
However, they get to about this amount of leaves and the deer come and get a munch!
 
My poor raspberry bucket is just twigs which is how they left this strawberry pot just a few weeks ago. So, with the twig pot, I might have to pull it all up and try some thing different in it.  
 
I am really tickled by the prospects of doing well!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Carmen!! I did pots last summer - now I've got a raised bed. (but it's almost empty - so much rain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes the rain! The weather has been unreal hasn't it?

      Delete
  2. Fun! I'm giving gardening another try, after taking a few years off. Our soil isn't that great, so I'm afraid much isn't going to bloom. I'll add more compost next year. I like your containers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the sand hills with the sand gnats! It is most challenging too!

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Those pesky deer! You know, we've hung shredded bars of Irish Spring soap on our grape trellises (in small bags made from an old onion bag) and it seems the deer don't love that smell....they will munch on the leaves until I hang the soap up, and then seem to leave it alone...of course the deer could've just moved on, or some other thing, but it's a cheap thing to give a try! And seems to have worked for us for several years now.
    Anyhow, your plants look great!..and oh, the delicious anticipation! Nothin' as good as homegrown!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! They look really good. Deer are a problem here too. Thankfully, our two dogs, take care of keeping things out of the yard and garden that don't belong there. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your container garden looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Maybe I should show your pictures to our garden as incentive to grow big - we are a lot behind you seasonally. At least you don't have to worry about things drying out this year, haha.

    I've never tried it myself as we have a fence & a BIG dog, but I keep hearing that one can use human hair as a deer repellent, you can get some from your local barber or hairdresser or if you are like us, we have enough in our vaccum cleaner bag to repel a forest. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen