Monday, September 22, 2014

Peak into my School Schedule

"We're not trying to do School at home. We're trying to do home school. These are entirely two different propositions.  We're not trying to replicate the time, style, or content for the classroom. Rather we are trying to cultivate a lifestyle of learning in which learning takes place from morning until bedtime- 7 days a week. The 'formal' portion of each teaching day is just the tip of the iceberg." - Lamberts


We are doing school in the piano room today.  (The baby grand is on the other side of the room so it is not pictured.)   This is the front part of our house. It is the first room that guest see as they enter the house.  I needed a change of scenery for our 7th week of school.  So, we piled in here today. I snapped a picture after our Bible devotion.

This school year's schedule is 9 weeks on and 1 week off.

I have been told that I do things a little different in regards to their subject work.
It works well for us though. We have "Full" year subjects and "9 week" subjects.

Our full year subjects are English, Math and Reading. They do them every day.
Reading is a list of books that I have them to read. They are coordinated with the type of Science/History subject they are doing and/or character trait I want them to learn, etc.
I have a list of books for each grade and I just highlight them off as they read them. They read in the afternoon.

Our 9 week subjects are Handwriting, Science, History, Geography, Foreign Language, Logic.
We complete the subject's entire years worth of work in 9 weeks. 
This 9 weeks subject was Handwriting. They have completed the Handwriting books already.

They want to do Science next 9 weeks. Usually, I do Science in the Spring.  But, apparently they got a hold of the Science books and looked at the experiments and felt it would be a super fun time. So, I guess we will see...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You must be so organized! Still something I'm considering :-) Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen