Saturday, January 29, 2011

On the Other Side Of Thrifting

Don't agonize, organize.” - Florynce Kennedy


Mission Impossible? Mission Undesirable! Location: Garage -- All labeled according to size and type of items. Items: Children's Clothing, Baby Clothing and Baby Items (Blankets, Hats, Bibs, etc.)

The Reason: I have none! But, it is the only area in my home that I am not keeping things simple and elegant. (These are all the clothes that I have received/bought for my Children. I have never sold any of them. Due to always being pregnant when we move. I just have never gone through them! Each box is labeled according to gender and size. So the containers are very organized! ) Well, it is time for a change! We are moving again and I am NOT pregnant so I have the energy! So, I got started this weekend because the consignment store season is opening up for new items for SPRING and the post wide Garage Sale will be coming up in a month or so too. So, this will be an on going SEASONAL project to get rid of this stuff too. I am hoping to go through a couple of these containers a week. Yes, have no doubt that I will be involved with this project for a very long time!


I am keeping 10 tubs of our favorites for giving to needy family, other children we might have,etc. I am purging clothes for the Spring and Fall 2011 Sales.

What I will need to do? I will sort, wash, iron when needed, hang, Tag and Take to the Consignment Stores or Sale in the Garage Sale.

Updates:

Saturday Jan 29th - 2 containers which previously organized. So, I washed and folded the purged items. They are now ready to go to the consignement store.

Saturday Feb 26th - Organized Children's Shoes in Zip lock bags for sale.

Saturday Feb 26th - Purged Containers : Girls size 10, Girls size 8, Girls size 7, Girls size 6, Girls 4, Girls size 3, Girls size 2, Girls size 24 months, Girls size 12 months, Girls size 9 months, Girl size 6 mo., Girls size 0 to 3 months!


Monday Feb 28th - Purged Containers : Boys size 3, Boys size 2, Boys size 24 months, Boys size 12 months, Boys size 9 months,

Tuesday March 1st - Purged Boys size 6 mo. Boy size 3 mo

Wed March 2nd - Seperated Girls Spring from Fall. Seperated Boys Spring from Fall. Washed all clothes. 

Thurs March 3rd - I purged some of my closet too. I dropped off ADULT Women Clothes to consignment shop. (Received a check FEB 1st Check 17.10) ( Received a check MARCH 2nd 13.00)

March 4th - Put 100 Girls and Boys Spring Clothes on Wire Hangers. Tagged.

Saturday March 5th - Dropped 100 children's items (ended up being 91) to the County "one week" Consignment Sale.

Mon March 7th - Put Girls and Boys Spring Clothes on Wire Hangers. Tagged more items.


Tue March 8 - Dropped 100 items at a City "one week" consignment sale.

Thur March 10 -  A small container of clothes that I already knew would not sale at the city or country sale was dropped off at a  consignment shop. ( a check for 12.50)

Sat March 19 - Picked up items that did not sale from County Week Sale. Approximently 40 Items did not sale.

Sun March 20 - Picked up items from the City Week Sale. Approximently 60 of the items did not sale. Not surprising. This weekly consignment sale is huge. It fills up the size of a Walmart building.

Mon - Thurs March 21- 24th - Washed and Hung all winter items for Winter consignment sale. They are now ready for fall and I put them away.


Thurs- March 24th - Consolidated items that did not sell from the Country Week Sale  and the City Week  sale. Took these clothes to a Consignment Shop for what might be the last ditch effort in getting money. (a check for 16.50)

Friday - March 25th Took 4 containers full of stained clothing to be re-cycled for other textiles.
(The stains would not come out of clothes! Mostly these were clothes that friends handed down.)

Monday March 28th - County "ONE WEEK" Sale
check was $130ish


Friday April 1st - City "ONE WEEK" Sale
check was $84.15


Saturday April 9th - Consignment Shop check was $83.05

Friday May 6th - Consignment Shop check was $13.44

* Consignment stores are FULL for the Spring the rest will need to be sold at a garage sale. The stuff for Fall is all ready to be tagged for the Fall Sales.

Saturday May 7th - Garage Sale in which we sold other items as well at clothes $750.00 ($300 was clothes)

FINISH with THIS PROJECT for the SPRING and SUMMER

TOTAL SOLD at garage sale and consignment sales for Spring/Summer Season is $1119.64                                     
                            _________________________

$750. 00 at garage sale  but ONLY 300.00 from garage sale in clothes/toys
           ( I sold items for 50 cents, $1.00 and $2.00)
$369.64 was the total I received from selling the Spring/Summer clothes to consignment shops!
So total on selling clothes  $300.  +   $369. 64  =    669.64 ish!

In the end: I think I only sold 6 tubs of clothing! Not bad for the $ but not good for the purging!

***********************************************************************

7 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best in your organization and siplification of these bins. *smile* Also, I was thinking about those books you mentoned...Grandma's Attic, I just remembered that you and I don't pass e-mail though...Uuu if you get the chance a little bit about why you chose them and the style of writing. I did find that there are five books in the series. Thanks so much. Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I answered your question underneath the post Grandma's Attic. I wasn't paying attention to where you left the comment. Sorry! Let me know if I didn't cover all the info you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing, Carmen! You put me to shame. I'm not, by nature, an organizer. I think I could take lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmen, if you think that picture looks awful - I wouldn't want you to see the state of my garage right now! Yikes. We go through ours every summer, and through the year it just gets all jumbled up again! I like the "do you hire out" comment! Ha ha. Cleaning, and organizing is a wonderful goal!~Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen