Tuesday, January 4, 2011

3 Dimensional Magformer Toys

The whole object of education is...to develop the mind. The mind should be a thing that works. ~ S. Anderson
Magformers are the boys favorite toys! They are MAGNETS! They enjoy creating with them daily. Yes, daily! Early this morning, they had them scattered all over the floor and I wanted them cleaned up before the sisters got up.



Instructions: Use all magformers that are on the floor to many space ships, tractors, or garages. When completed put your creation on the counter and do another one. Do not do anything else until ALL the magformers are used.




Eventually, my island counter was full of small creations and my floors were clean again.





But, some of my friends like for me to get more technical about it...

Lesson Learned: The Little Gentleman (age 3-the student) and the Little Man (age 5- the student) had to think artistically in using every magnet shape. They had to demonstrate and express a visual idea which will be evaluated by their visual representation of a space ship, tractor/truck, or garage. They had to use their decision making skills, demonstrate they understood visual balance, use hand eye coordination in placing magformers together for their structure. This project is a great 3 dimensional activity which helps learn the names and teach how pentagons, equilateral triangles, rectangles and many more geometric shapes can be placed together to make structures. They also get the added bonus of learning that things need to be supported correctly. It was an activity in which they used their verbal communication skills to complete a tast together.

4 comments:

  1. You have shown these blocks on here before and I just love them! Great immagination boys! Glad to see you having so much fun with these unique blocks. Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing. Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see that. And I will keep magformers in mind in case I need a gift for a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - those blocks look fun!! So many options!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the creativity!
    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen