Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In Love With A Mystery Part 13

I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine" - Song of Solomon 6:3

Do you hear it?

Yes, The music!

It is the theme of Inspector Gadget!

Now, you must know that I am not sure when exactly I hired a Private Eye to do some investigating on this Mystery Man. Talking it over, there is a little discrepancy on the time line and none of this portion is written in my journal for good reason --- Beloved never needed to know!!

But, unlike the Private Eye, I am thinking it was some time after the Mystery Guy amused me by dumping me on that “First date”, which of course I never actually had!

Regardless, I must have felt like this slightly older man was becoming a little bit too much of a nut for me to crack. So, I enlisted the very best investigator I knew— she was FREE – she was AVAILABLE—and she is my MOMMA!

Oh, now! Don’t act surprised!

I told you that you need to watch out for those Preacher’s Kids! Preacher Kid’s have all sorts of hidden talents. And, if you get them to tap into those talents, you will have resources beyond your wildest dreams – and remember this was all before the wide spread information on the Internet.

Don’t get all high and mighty on me either, ladies. You best not be saying you haven’t done the same thing. Any smart girl would do her homework!

You younger girls, can say “Hello, Historical Facebook Statuses?” But, my resources were a little bit limited!

But, I had a Momma!

And, we shouldn’t forget that my Momma had a direct-line up to God for 22 years about bringing the Man I should marry. Why, when she wasn’t dialing God’s 911 number to move some varmint out of the way, she was calling upon God to send the Manna down from heaven!

So, my Momma and I set out….

We almost had a full name.

We had a phonebook.

We had a car.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have one of those pesky GPS garmins. But, if we did, you can be sure I would have had my Momma change the Ladies voice to a Man’s Voice. After all, if I am going to be bossed around and told how to drive, it better be from a Man who has a nice soothing voice. Can I get an “Amen”?

That night, quite honestly, I wouldn’t have minded the scratchy Ladies voice. It would have made the adventure a bit more painless.

Did you catch that statement earlier? We ALMOST had a full name.

Yep, I only knew the Mystery Man’s First Name!

And, we all know that won’t work when you are using a Phonebook!

But, I sort of remembered hearing his last name one day. So, I thought his last name started with an either the letter “I” or the letter “E”.

Flipping through the phone book, I searched all the “I”. No success!

Then, I looked through the “E”. This took a little bit longer. After all, the County phone book wasn’t as small as I had originally thought.

After about 10 minutes or so, I was wishing I had done the MOST important thing that any Christian girl could do! Invest in a CHURCH directory!

Then it happened.

Heaven sent a ray of sunshine on me, in this case it was in the form of a car headliner light, and it illuminated his name right off that page.

I found it!

Now, I don’t have a clue what I was thinking I would find by knowing where he lived. It isn’t like I would be able to sum up his character or finding anything else about him when driving by his house, could I?

My Private Eye and I went snooping anyway.

When, I saw that the address said “Ash Street” we about did a little jump for joy.

I knew ½ of Ash Street fairly well. So, I was certain that he had to live on the less familiar part.

We drove up and down at least 5 times on the less familiar part searching for his car and his address but those House numbers kept jumping all around.

Thirty Minutes or so went by but we still kept our focus.

Then, my wise Momma said “Let’s just go on the other part.”

“Mom, there is no way he lives over there.”

She said, “Let’s just do it anyway.”

Slowly, we drove by the mailboxes.

“Carmen. 1-0-0-8!”

At that point my mouth dropped open and my Mom and I began to laugh.

We drove by the House but turned around so we could pass by it again.

This Mystery Man lived two doors down from a guy-friend of mine.

That in itself was absolutely amazing. I can't believe this guy lives so close to my friend and I didn't know it.

But, then it dawned on me….

As we drove by the second time, I took a better look at the house.

Although, I really didn’t need to --I knew the house well.

Every couple of weeks or so, my Friend Emily, who thought her biological clock was ticking at the age of 28, had me walk up and down the street with her so she could try to get an “accidental” meeting with the man that lived in this house!

Now if you think that she is crazy – you must know that she was a highly successful Psychologist! And although, I don't know what "Theory" she was working within most of the time, I do know that she tried to apply the Christian Philosophy of "Love thy Neighbor" with this particular shenanigan on a regular basis.

Emily had done more than just her homework on this guy! She had done loads of research.

Unfortunately, I only remembered enough to write some of the cliff notes.

But, it was enough to know that this Christian guy's reputation was what made him the most sought after Bachelor in many circles.

And, at that point, I felt like I should count it at honor and a privilege to be a person that he actually considered dumping --- even though we never had a first date!

We drove by again.

And, this time I looked at the house with a slightly different eye.

Beloved didn't say anything about me snooping!

He did ask, “Who is Emily?”
And, so I had to explain. Emily went to my Family Church in the City but she lived on your street. She did her homework on you because Dr. Scott (which I realized after many years, was the one) from your Church who wanted to set y’all up. She moved shortly after you and I met.


I still think that my Momma has the best Inspector Gadget - Private Eye skills. I don't know if she would admit it though. Will you plead the fifth?

When we got home that night, Daddy found out what we had been up to. Although we counted our snooping Mission successful, My Daddy said, "Boy, That was stupid! That was a total waste of gas." I am sure he would feel different if we had invited him to go. ;)

*TO BE CONT on the WEEKENDS so I can get a PAPER written!

4 comments:

  1. I love the, going by and then turning around so you can go by it again. *smile* I also liked the responce your dad had about the whole thing. *smile* What a great friend you mom was to you for being there with you in this time of "investigation". *big smile* Have a wonderful day! Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleading the fifth is the label commonly used in the US legal sphere to describe the act of invoking the right against self-incrimination......therefore I do plead!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness.

    You and your Mommma sound wayyyyyyyy too much like my girls and I! LOL

    I read this to the girls and we laughed and laughed because we can SO relate!

    Yes, my family knows that I am a great detective too with uncanny skills, I even know the Judge. (Jesus!)

    Loving the series!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift to me and they warm my heart. I read and treasure every one. If you leave a comment, I will visit you as well. ~ Carmen